Sunday, March 1, 2009

Age of Accountability

I just had a question for some of you out there that have already been throught this. Julie has been asking to be baptized, but we have put her off and banked the discussion for now. After some thought, I've wondered if that is a wise a decision. I truly think she understands "obedience" but maybe not "accountablity". I have read different opinions on this, and I am still a little unsure. I don't want her to make a life commitment without knowing what she's doing, but I also don't want to discourage her from serving the Lord. I debated about putting this on the Blogspot, but I figure it may be of some benefit to others with children. Thanks!

2 comments:

Steve said...

I think that you are taking a wise approach. When a child is truly ready -- understands obedience, realizes that he is accountable to God, is convicted of his sin and knows what he needs to do to be saved -- a parent won't be able to stop him from obeying the gospel.
Just my .02
Steve

Christy said...

She hasn't insisted on being baptized so maybe she's not just not ready. Thanks for your .02 :-)